THE STAINES VILLAGE RESIDENTS AND TRADERS ASSOCIATION CHARTER
The name of the Association shall be the Staines Village Residents and Traders Association.
The aim of the Staines Village Residents and Traders Association shall be to give effect to the Vision of Staines Village. The Association shall have no political or religious affiliations and shall be non profit making.
3. Definitions and Interpretation
"Bounds of Staines Village"
means: the area outlined on OS Map reference 123456 XYZ as submitted to and agreed by Spelthorne Borough Council.
"People of Staines Village"
means: all the Residents of and all the Traders within and the people generally within and frequently involved with Staines Village.
"Residents of Staines Village"
means: any person who is ordinarily resident whether by residential property ownership or lease within the Bounds of Staines Village.
means: Staines Village Residents and Traders Association.
"Traders within Staines Village"
means: any person owning or conducting legal business within the Bounds of Staines Village
4. The Managing Committee:
- the Managing Committee shall be called the Staines Village Committee;
- the Staines Village Committee shall represent the specific interests of the SVR&TA by taking action to effect the vision of Staines Village and the People of Staines Village generally;
- the Staines Village Committee shall consist of the Speaker, Secretary, Treasurer (?the officers') and no less than five and no more than eleven other members either elected or co-opted, not including honorary members;
- the Staines Village Committee officers, members and honorary members shall be proposed, seconded and elected at the Annual General Meeting ("AGM") and shall remain in office until their successors are elected at the next Annual Open Meeting. Any vacancy occurring by resignation or otherwise may be filled by the Staines Village Committee for the period until the next AGM. Retiring members of the Staines Village Committee shall be eligible for re-election;
- in addition to the members so elected, the Staines Village Committee may co-opt further members and honorary members of Staines Village Residents and Traders Association who shall serve until the next AGM. Co-opted members shall be entitled to vote at the meetings of the Staines Village Committee;
- the Staines Village Committee shall be responsible for the management of the SVR&TA and shall have the power to enter into contracts for the purposes of the SVR&TA on behalf of the People of Staines Village;
- the members of the Staines Village Committee shall be entitled to an indemnity out of the assets of Staines Village for all expenses and other liabilities previously agreed and properly incurred by them in the management of the affairs of SVR&TA;
- the Staines Village Committee may be enlarged by the decision of the Staines Village Committee in order to form a properly constituted Neighbourhood Forum under the Localism Act 2011; and
- the quorum for meetings of the Staines Village Committee shall be 5.
- the responsibilities of the officers are:
The Speaker: shall represent the views of the Staines Village Committee to external agencies, act as Chair at all meetings, agree dates for all meetings and advise when action should be taken under the Localism Act and to set up Neighbourhood Forums as necessary;
The Secretary: shall keep the minutes of all meetings, cause to be promulgated the notices of all meetings and cause copies of these notices and minutes to be place on the Staines Village website;
The Treasurer: shall keep records of all Staines Village funds and expenses, issue cheques for counter signature, present a statement of accounts at Staines Village Committee meetings, prepare an annual statement of the accounts for presentation at the AGM and arrange for an annual independent audit of the books.
- Membership in the SVR&TA shall be open to all Residents and Traders within the bounds of Staines Village;
- Membership will be free of charge. Membership charge may be changed by resolution at an AGM or Special General Meeting.
- The Secretary of the Staines Village Committee shall cause to be kept a list of all Residents of and Traders within Staines Village who are members of the SVR&TA.
- The Staines Village Committee may grant honorary membership in the SVR&TA to individuals whom they feel have a long-standing interest or association with the Village, such as, but not limited to, representatives of St. Mary's Church, local councillors, frequent visitors, those who provide services to Staines Village or past members.
- A member shall cease to be a member of the SVR&TA:
6. General Meetings:
- if they give notice to the Secretary of their resignation, or;
- if they cease to be eligible by reason of moving and so no longer eligible by being a Resident or Trader of Staines Village.
7. Special General Meetings:
- An Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Members and honorary Members of the SVR&TA shall be held each year between January 1st and March 31st to transact the following business:
- receive the Speaker's report on the activities of Staines Village over the previous year;
- receive and consider the accounts of Staines Village for the previous year and the Independent Auditor's report on the accounts and the Treasurer's report as to the financial position of Staines Village Residents and Traders Association;
- appoint the Independent Reporting Auditor;
- elect the officers and other members of the Staines Village Committee; and
- decide on any resolution which may be duly submitted.
- Nominations for the election of members to any office or for membership to the Staines Village Committee shall be made in writing by the proposer and seconder with the consent of the nominee. Nominations shall be received by the Secretary before or at the AGM. Notice of any resolution proposed to be moved at the AGM shall be given in writing to the Secretary at least 14 days before the meeting.
A Special General Meeting of SVR&TA members may be called at any time by the Staines Village Committee or shall be called within 28 days of receipt by the Secretary of a request in writing signed by not less than nine members of the SVR&TA stating the purpose for which the meeting is required and the resolution proposed. Attendance and voting rights shall be the same as for Annual General Meetings.
8. Procedure at General and Special General Meetings:
9. Financial Governance:
- The Secretary shall cause to be delivered to each Resident of, Trader within and the People of Staines Village a written notice of the date of any Annual or Special General Meeting together with such resolutions to be proposed thereat as he/she has received at least 21 clear days before the meeting;
- The Secretary shall cause to be posted the notice of any Annual or Special General Meeting on the Staines Village website
- The quorum for the AGM Meeting shall be 12 members of the SVR&TA and the quorum for Special General Meetings shall be nine members of the SVR&TA;
- The Speaker or a member selected by the Staines Village Committee shall take the chair. Each member or honorary present shall have one vote and the resolutions shall be passed by a simple majority. In the event of an equality of votes the Speaker or Acting Speaker shall have a casting vote and the Secretary or a member selected by the Staines Village Committee shall take the minutes at any Open Meeting.
- Non-members of the SVR&TA may attend AGMs or Special General Meetings but may not propose, second, or vote on any matter.
- All money payable to SVR&TA shall be received by the Treasurer and deposited in a bank or building society account in the name of SVR&TA. No sum shall be drawn from that account except by cheque signed by two of the three signatories who shall be the Speaker, the Treasurer and one other. Any monies not required for immediate use may be invested as the Staines Village Committee in their discretion thinks fit;
- The income and assets of SVR&TA shall be applied only in furtherance of the objectives of the SVR&TA and no part thereof shall be paid by way of bonus, dividend or profit to any Resident of or Trader within Staines Village or any others of the People of Staines Village;
- The Staines Village Committee shall have the power to authorise the payment of expenses to any officer, member or employee of SVR&TA and to any other person or persons for services rendered to SVR&TA;
- The financial transactions of SVR&TA shall be recorded in a set of books by the Treasurer; and
- This set of books shall be independently audited once a year.
- A resolution to dissolve the Association shall only be proposed at a Special General Meeting and shall only be carried by a majority of at least three-quarters of the members present.
- The dissolution shall take effect from the date of the resolution and the members of the Staines Village Committee shall be responsible for the winding up of the assets and liabilities of the Association.
- Any assets remaining after the discharge of the debts and liabilities of the Association shall be given to a charity or charities nominated by the Staines Village Committee.